Palit Radeon™ HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition (512MB)

Questions about installation and upgrading of your new Bayanihan OS.

Palit Radeon™ HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition (512MB)

Postby n_libiran » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Hello, I've downloaded the BL5 installer and successfully installed it on an older PC with Pentium III Processor. The installation went well without a problem and the PC is operational up to now.

My problem is that I tried installing BL5 on a new PC - Emaxx Motherboard, Pentim IV 2.8Ghz Dual Core, 4Gb RAM and a Palit Radeon™ HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition (512MB). The installation actually finished but after restarting (just about KDE is starting) my monitor goes blank, and all the lights of my monitor blinks at the same time. I tried a different monitor, a LCD one and it didn't blink but after the progress bar (BL5 startup) goes full the monitor displays "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED".

I think I have to modify my boot parameters but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I didn't try BL4 with the new computer, cause with BL4 I can't upgrade to the latest flash player plugin (but that's another topic).

Thanks. :)
n_libiran

Re: Palit Radeon™ HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition (512MB)

Postby rage » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:57 am

Ok, first restart your computer and select "Bayanihan GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686 (single-user mode)". You might be prompted for the root password.

Using an editor (nano, mc, vi) can you try setting the driver to "vesa" or "radeon" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

In the section:

Code: Select all
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Edit it so it looks like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "vesa"
EndSection

Reboot.

This won't give you optimal results but at the very least you should be able to login to the desktop. Let me know if this works, then let's try something else.
rage

Postby n_libiran » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks Sir Rage... I'll try it this afternoon at the office and I'll post the results later tonight. :D
n_libiran

Postby n_libiran » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Sir Rage, I did what you said. First I changed it to "vesa", after restarting it was the same - the blinking monitor lights, then I changed it to "radeon", but with radeon it doesn't start the x window. I logged in and tried "startx" but I get the error "no screens found". Any other work around for this sir? :?:
n_libiran

Postby n_libiran » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 am

Sir Rage, I got it working! :D

First I changed it to "vesa", after restarting it was the same - the blinking monitor lights, then I changed it to "radeon", but with radeon it doesn't start the x window. I logged in and tried "startx" but I get the error "no screens found", finally I tried "radeonhd" but still "no screens found". I read through the log file created by xorg and I saw that the error was "no devices found" I also noticed that my chipset was not on the list of supported chipsets.

I googled around and read the xorg.conf that I found. I guessed that maybe it's the default resolution that's giving me the "input not supported" error with the vesa driver. So I tried this one:

Section "Device"
   Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
   Driver         "vesa"
   VendorName     "ATI Technologies Inc"
   BoardName      "RV770 [Radeon HD 4870]"
   BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier     "Screen"
   Device         "Configured Video Device"
   DefaultDepth   24
   SubSection     "Display"
          Depth   24
          Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubSection
   Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

After restarting the PC, SUCCESS! Then I downloaded the latest driver from the ati website and updated my PC. I'll post the results of some other tweaks I'm trying (e.g. enabling 3D) and hopefully write a clean, clear and easy to understand howto on using this hardware with PC's running BL5. :)
n_libiran

Postby rage » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 am

Galing mo!

This is the line you needed:

SubSection     "Display"
          Depth   24
          Virtual 1024 768

You can probably add more resolutions in the Virtual line if your monitor can support it.

I'm sure this will help others so I'd like to to add this to the HOWTO section. Thanks!
rage

Postby pinoylikes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

medyo outdated na po yan as of now

Postby wangbuko » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:18 pm

[quote="pinoylikes"]medyo outdated na po yan as of now

matagal na po atang post un eh.. pero astig mga bagong radeon ngun
wangbuko

Postby Hazard123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I read through the log file created by xorg and I saw that the error was "no devices found" I also noticed that my chipset was not on the list of supported chipsets.
http://www.mmoign.com/
Hazard123

Return to Installation and Upgrades