Dual Booting with BL

Questions about installation and upgrading of your new Bayanihan OS.

Dual Booting with BL

Postby 2pedrof » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

At work--with my notebook computer--I use Windows.

At home, and with that same notebook computer, I devote my time with Linux.

Now, I'd like to dual-boot BL with Windows XP. In that way, I can show to my fellows what Linux is and, particularly, what BL is like and all about. In that same way too, I could perhaps entice them to install BL in their computers. And what a thrill that would, indeed, be...

I have a 300-gig harddisk. So I hope to be able to fill BL with it.

Please, therefore, provide me with the the necessary steps and tips to install BL to my notebook computer, and so to be able to dual boot with Windows XP with the use of LVM.

This process, is for me, for techies only.

And I'm afraid I am not one of them, yet... Besides that, your valuable tips will likewise help others dual boot BL with their computers.

Thanks.
2pedrof

HOWTO: Dual Booting with BL

Postby rage » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:38 pm

DISCLAIMER: Use this information at your own risk. We will not be liable for any damages or loss of data.

BEFORE DOING THIS, please backup your important data and prepare restore media/discs for in case something goes wrong and you might need to restore your existing Windows installation from scratch.

BIG FAT WARNING! Resizing the Windows partition using the steps below has been tested to work only on Windows XP. Windows Vista users should use the Disk Management Tool available in the Administration Tools found in the Control Panel to resize the partition instead.

First, you need to prepare your hard drive for installation with Bayanihan. Bayanihan needs about 5 GB of space for the base installation and an additional space for the swap partition the size of which is roughly 2x the amount of physical memory (RAM). Defragment the hard disk using the Defragmenter tool which is part of the Windows System Tools. Then reboot your machine with the Bayanihan5 Installer (http://apt.bayanihan.gov.ph/Bayanihan5Desktop-Installer-i386-Rev1.iso) CD in the cdrom drive. You may need to modify some settings in the BIOS in order to boot from the cdrom drive.

Next, at the Partition disks stage of the installer, select Manual from among the choices. The list of available partitions will be displayed along with its corresponding filesystem type. Windows partitions are typically fat32 or ntfs. Select the Windows partition you would like to resize then click Continue. Select the Resize the partition option then continue. Click Yes to Write previous changes to disk and continue? . Information will be displayed regarding the minimum and maximum sizes that you can set. Enter a percentage or size in GB at the box then click Continue. The process may take a while depending on the size of the partition and RAM.

When the process of resizing is successful, the list of available partitions will again be displayed this time showing the amount of available free space. To install Bayanihan in the available free space, select the line with FREE SPACE entry and continue then click Automatically partition the free space option. The option All files in one partition is automatically highlighted. Click Continue to finish partitioning and click Yes to write these changes to the hard disk and then proceed with the rest of the installation normally.
rage

Re: Dual Booting with BL

Postby 2pedrof » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Hooraay! Following your advice, I was finally able to do a dual boot (with BL, however, as the default Operating System).

But with the aid of Mrs. Google Search-Engine, for I made a little bit of research, I was able to change the load default from BL to Windows XP by:

1. Opening BL, clicking on MENU / SYSTEM / KONSOLE-Terninal Program, typing at the ~$ prompt, and supplying the administrator password it was asking:

~$ sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

2. Searching for these lines shown at the screen that came out:

default 0
time out 5

3. Changing/editing the default 0 (zero) line according to the line-number where Windows XP appeared at start-up screen. (Mine was 6)

4.Clicking at Save to make the file new, and finally, quitting Konsole.

5. And rebooting...

The whole process reminded me of the good old DOS-days when everyone typed computer commands, hit keyboard shortcut keys, never clicking on an icon or anything--for mice (or the mouse) had never by then been invented.

Great!
2pedrof

Postby rage » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 pm

That's good to hear. :) I also prefer the command line whenever possible to the GUI, mas mabilis kasi.
rage

Postby thundz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:45 am

i want to have a dual boot with windows and BL.. is ti posible to install BL in other drives? i have my Windows in drive C.. and my drive E is untouched... is it possible to install Bl in drive e:?

i hope you can help....

support BL!!!

:D

chow...
thundz

Postby bicol_willem » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 am

thundz wrote:i want to have a dual boot with windows and BL.. is ti posible to install BL in other drives? i have my Windows in drive C.. and my drive E is untouched... is it possible to install Bl in drive e:?

i hope you can help....

support BL!!!

chow...

:D

Yes! :D
Grub might want to know as to where you would like it installed (which drive that is).
Miles may vary but I used to take the first HDD for that.
You shouldn't have more problems then installing BL to a partition on your first HDD..
Good luck.
bicol_willem

Postby thundz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 pm

ayaw prin po eh..

after I setup the bios for booting nagbo boot po sya sa windows agad.. hindi po sa CD drive...

how can i fix this?

help me.....
thundz

Postby thundz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 pm

the only thing that pops up to my monitor is this msg:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally..

yan lang po ung nag aappear...

:(
phelp nmn po....

here's my ym.. thundzz@yahoo.com
thundz

Postby thundz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm

sorry po kung masyado akong maraming post..ehe

kuya rage..

nag boot na po sya sa cd..

then after that.. doon na po ako sa detect and mount cd..

d po nya maread ung disc ko..

how is that?
thundz

Postby bicol_willem » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:47 pm

thundz wrote:ayaw prin po eh..

after I setup the bios for booting nagbo boot po sya sa windows agad.. hindi po sa CD drive...

how can i fix this?

help me.....

LOL, it seems that you either have a bad burn CD or ..... did you actually burn a image from that ISO? I mean if your CD contains the iso ...... no worky!

Can it be something like that?

In case, look here for more info

But maybe its a BIOS thing .... You don't have a option to choose the boot device? You can't set the BIOS to boot from CD? That would be very unusual though.
bicol_willem

Next

Return to Installation and Upgrades